Thursday, November 17, 2011

Metaphors...


Over the past few weeks I have been fortunate enough to rediscover my love of running. When I talk to most people they go, "Oh, good for you! I hate running. I don't know how you do it." Well to be honest, I don't know how I do it either. I just do. But what I do know is that when I get up and moving, I experience exhilaration and feel completely fearless. With each step I take, I feel as though I am pounding out anxiety and worry. I'm defeating insecurities and embracing strength and confidence. But the beauty of this is that I am never alone. I have an amazing running partner, Alison Stauver, who encourages me and helps me dig deep to finish the run. When you have a friend who truly believes in your ability to conquer any hill that you encounter on your run, you've got it made! But if you think about it, running is just a really great metaphor for life.

I don't know a successful person who hasn't made a decision everyday to get up and get moving. How many stagnant billionaires have you heard of? I will give you a minute to count...oh what's that you say, none? Well duh! And how many of those people were successful on their own? Somewhere along the way, they had to have an Alison Stauver who was their ride or die chick. That friend who got up with them at the butt crack of dawn and ran fearlessly next to them. Besides those who have achieved wealth from their endeavors, how about those who have changed the lives of others through their philanthropic gestures? How many of them just sat around thinking, man I sure wish I could help someone in need? None of them! The truth is, we must constantly be on the move. Life is not for those who tire easily and complain of aching limbs or for those who think they can do it all by themselves. It's for the true runners. Those who say in their hearts and minds that no matter what, they will continue to run this marathon that is life. They will continue to be fearless and run hard in spite of the blood, sweat and tears that run down their faces. And they won't be under the misguided thinking that they run the race alone. They will crave and embrace deep friendships that keep them running and build them up as the race continues.

But even this runner knows that I must also seek the strength of something outside of myself and others. Because on those days when my back is weak and my soul is tired, and no encouragement from my friend seems to help, this runner knows that it takes the supernatural power of Christ to keep my feet moving. His unconditional, unchanging love provides the strength I need to get moving every day.

My run serves a greater purpose...

No comments:

Post a Comment